Diversity was the theme of the day at the 2015 Emmy’s. A few small steps add up to make positive change on female, racial and transgender rights.
- Viola Davis: “The only thing that separates women of colour from anyone else is opportunity. You cannot win an Emmy for roles that are simply not there.”
- #AskHerMore meant less ‘who are you wearing’ and more ‘who do you admire’ questions on the red carpet
- Andy Samberg called out Donald Trump on his racism
- ‘The Amys’ called out the ‘Worst Dressed’ coverage for what it really is
- Jon Hamm told it like it was: “People look back on those days through a thick veil of nostalgia, but life was hard if you were anything other than a rich, powerful, white male.”
- Uzo Aduba wins for OITNB, again!
- Jill Soloway: “People need to make an attempt to find identify and nurture people of colour, women, trans people, queer people, and include them in the creative process.”
- Jeffrey Tambor: “I’d like to dedicate my performance and this award to the transgender community. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your courage. Thank you for your stories. Thank you for our inspiration. Thank you for letting us be part of the change.”
And here’s to more change.
Read the full article.